Partner’s Activities in and around Brisbane
The following activities are available in Brisbane around the time of IHC2014:
- Enjoy a day at the Ekka (Australian slang for exhibition), formally the Royal Queensland Show (www.royalqueenslandshow.com.au), held from Friday 8 August 2014 to Sunday 17 August 2014. The Ekka is Queensland’s biggest and best Show that showcases Queensland’s agriculture and industry and includes a large entertainment precinct.Over 400,000 patrons are expected to attend the Ekka in 2014.
- Brisbane Parks and Gardens: Mt Coot-tha Botanical Gardens, Old City Botanic Gardens, Roma Street Parklands gardens, Southbank (www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/botanicgardens)
- City Cat ferry rides (www.brisbaneferries.com.au)
- Train trip to the Gold Coast (www.airtrain.com.au/products_goldcoast.php)
- Tangalooma, Moreton Island (www.tangalooma.com) 4WD Tours, dolphin feeding
- Whale watching (www.brisbanewhalewatching.com.au; www.whalesinparadise.com.au; www.tangalooma.com)
- Frazer Island (UNESCO Listed) 4WD Eco Day Trip (www.tourfraser.com.au ; www.fraserfree.com.au ; www.sunrover.com.au)
- Best of Brisbane Full-Day Sightseeing Tour Discover Brisbane’s historic city centre, river and wildlife (www.brisbanevisitorsguide.com.au ; www.tourstogo.com.au ; www.visitbrisbane.com.au)
- Springbrook National Park - explore the World Heritage Rainforest (www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/springbrook ;www.aussiebushwalking.com/qld/springbrook)
- Hot Air Ballooning over Brisbane (www.balloonaloft.net ; www.balloonsoverbrisbane.com.au ; www.brisbanehotairballooning.com.au)
- Australia Zoo by Croc Express Coach – Home of the crocodile hunter (www.australiazoo.com.au)
- Queensland Art Gallery and Gallery of Modern Art, Southbank (www.qagoma.qld.gov.au)
- Brisbane self-guided Walking Tours (www.brisbanewalkingtours.com.au ; www.visitbrisbane.com.au). Riverside walking paths are available on either bank of the Brisbane River between the Kurilpa and Goodwill pedestrian bridges.
- CityCycle bike hire (www.citycycle.com.au; www.brisbanebicycletours.com.au/tour2.html)
- Brisbane River cruises (www.rivercitycruises.com.au ; www.brisbanecruises.com.au ;www.mirimar.com)
- Brisbane River Dinner Cruise (www.kookaburrariverqueens.com)
- Cultural performances at QPAC (Queensland Performing Arts Centre) during IHC2014:
The Renowned Bangarra Dance Theatre Company presents ‘Patyegarang’ at the QPAC Playhouse on 15, 16, 20, 21, 22 and 23 August 2014. The audience is transported to another time and place to experience the sensations and emotions of 'first contact' between the Aboriginal people and Europeans, creating a remarkable narrative dance that tells the story of an astonishing act of generosity and cultural exchange. Patyegarang guides understanding of the deep, spiritual significance of Aboriginal ancestors, myths and creation stories.
- Qld pops – Broadway spectacular - West end to Broadway
This is the 30th annual performance of this popular Queensland pops orchestra, performing at the QPAC Concert Hall on Saturday 16 August 2014, featuring singers Silvie Paladino and Kane Alexander.
- ACO Intimate Letters
An arrangement for string orchestra from Mozart, Janácek and Smetana under the direction of London Symphony Orchestra concertmaster Gordan Nikolic on Monday 18 August 2014 at QPAC Concert Hall.
- The Last Confession
David Suchet (Agatha Christie's Poirot) makes his Australian stage debut in The Last Confession. Set in the corridors of the Vatican at the time of the sudden and controversial death of Pope John Paul I only 33 days after his election, The Last Confession is a mystery thriller of biblical proportions. Performed at QPAC Lyric Theatre from Wednesday 20 August to Sunday 24 August 2014.
- Morning Masterworks 5: August Masterworks
Benjamin Northey, arising star among Australian conductors, has an affinity with classical, experimental and jazz genres. Perfect then to join forces with pianist and composer Marialy Pacheco, the first woman to win the prestigious Montreux Jazz Festival solo piano competition in the Festival’s fourteen year history. Expect pure artistry in this interpretation of Bach’s Concerto, performing at QPAC Concert Hall on Thursday 21 August 2014 at 11am.
- QYO Masterpiece Series 3 – The Planets
Queensland Youth Symphony (QYO) perform a program of cosmic proportions, from The Planets, to a world premiere written of a work by QYS musician Samuel Dickenson to a concerto performed by European tuba virtuoso Andreas Hofmeir at the QPAC Concert Hall on Saturday 23 August 2014.
- American Ballet Theatre – Swan Lake
Performing at the QPAC Lyric Theatre from 28 August to 4 September 2014.