A Compendium of Horticultural Images – Fusion of Art, Science and Commerce
Our goal is simple – to find amazing photographs representing the beauty and wonder of horticulture and share these with our peers at IHC2014.
The IHC2014 Compendium of Horticultural Images Photographic Competition is now open. Here is your opportunity to showcase your photographic skills and be in with a chance to win a category prize. A certificate and a Sony A6000 digital camera will be awarded for the best entries within each category and an overall people’s choice trophy will also be presented.
People’s Choice Trophy
Dr Peter Oppenheim hand crafted this trophy from Australian timbers. The body and base are made from Victorian Banksia while the column and finial are turned from Queensland Gidgee.
Images can be submitted for one of the following categories:
- Sustaining lives – fruit, vegetables, ornamentals (SLF)
- Sustaining livelihoods (horticultural enterprises) (SLI)
- Sustaining landscapes (SLA)
- Professional horticultural photography (PHP)
- Choose a category for your image to be submitted to
- Save your image in the following format: Surname, First Name, Category Acronym, Country where the image was taken.jpg (e.g. Smith,John,SLF,Australia.jpg)
- Complete the submission form available above.
The image you submit should be:
- Sharp (but not using sharpening software);
- Have impact (composition, colour, and, in some contexts, perhaps drama);
- Of horticultural and/or scientific interest.
Deadline: The competition will close at 11.59pm, Australian Eastern Standard Time, on 30 May 2014.
IHC2014 Compendium of Horticultural Images Competition Rules
- We are aware that image files vary in size depending on the camera used. Please supply the image file produced either directly by the camera or in post capture RAW conversion.
- All entries must be large, high resolution digital files in TIFF or high quality JPEG (level 8 or higher) format submitted electronically.
- Digital images should be a minimum of 5 megapixels and should not be interpolated (no photoshopping).
- Where possible Adobe RGB colour space is preferred to the more common sRGB colour space/mode (the camera default)
- It is free to enter up to three images per person. Each image can only be submitted into one category.
- Submissions will be accepted from professional and amateur photographers.
- All photos entered must be the original work of the individual submitting it. Photo competition staff and judges are not allowed to enter.
- The winning images for each category will be chosen anonymously by a judging panel comprised of 2 professional photographers plus a horticulturist.
- The people’s choice winners will be determined by IHC2014 delegates during the Congress by popular vote. Only entries from registered delegates are eligible for the People’s Choice Trophy
- Submitted images will be displayed by continuous scrolling on a large plasma screen. The top five images for each category will be printed and displayed for delegate viewing at the Congress. The people’s choice winner will be chosen from these printed images (submitted by Congress delegates only) by a delegate’s ballot. Voting papers will be provided in congress satchels.
- There should be no identifying marks or distracting artefacts such as copyright, dates, etc on the photograph.
- Prior permission must be sought before entering photographs of private gardens or of any person featured in a photograph.
- By submitting images, you confirm that you are the copyright holder and creator of the image and that you will be responsible for any claims by any third party.
- Copyright will remain with the photographer. However, by submitting images, the photographer/entrant agrees to the IHC2014 Organising Committee using the images for display, publication, in the “Compendium of Horticultural Images”, on the IHC2014 website or for promotional use. Full photographers’ credit will be acknowledged for all images used.
- The judges’ decision is final. The judges reserve the right not to make any award if, in their opinion, none of the entries meet the required standard.
- Prize-winners will be notified of results at IHC2014.